Sunday, January 29, 2012

Change the Outcome


The New York Times said that “if films were judged solely by their good intentions, this one would be best in show” because it has a good point. I agree with this because I never would have connected the thought about buying a diamond and supporting a war. I think Blood Diamond did have a good point and story. Iconcinema.com review says that this movie “is lost because of its overly simplistic discourse of the diamond trade, its influx of numbing “entertainment” and by the lack of complacency from the storylines.” I disagree with their review. The movie might have made the trade simple, but the point of the story still came across to me. From reading these different reviews it let me see the other side of critiques. I enjoyed this movie and thought it was a great story, but now I see some of the points of the other side and why other might not have liked the movie as much as I did.

Leonardo DiCaprio or Danny Archerin the movie was one of the main characters in the movie. He deals with the struggle of being the bad smuggler that he normal is or the guy that helps Soloman find his family. In the end he chose to do the right thing and not steal the diamond from Soloman. Leo faced the conflict of doing the right thing or making a lot of money for himself. The conflicts were resolved Danny decided to be a good person and allow Soloman to take the diamond and leave the country with his family.

Danny said a quote to Maddy in the movie that stood out to me. Danny said, “You come here with your laptop computers, your malaria medicine and your little bottles of hand sanitizer and think you can change the outcome, huh?” It shows the type of person that Danny was. That he had zero hope for this country and that he didn’t care much about what happened to it or anyone there in fact. Danny definitely changed by the end of the movie. When Danny calls Maddy on the phone right before he is about to die he tells her that he is right where he is suppose to be and he is really glad he met her. I think that shows that Danny throughout the movie had changed and he showed that he did care. In the end of the movie Maddy was able to make an impact with her news story using the help of Danny through his story. It just shows that they could make a change when they worked together and that they both really did care.

3 comments:

  1. You made a nice point about the buying of diamonds in the United States. Before this movie came out I am sure most people didn't know where there diamond may or may not have come from. National Geographic has done segments on blood diamonds but most people don't watch this channel. It took a Hollywood movie to bring the problem to the front of people's minds. Good post and good quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the idea behind the movie; trying to change peoples minds about that big rock on their fingers. It also let a lot of people know that it was an issue, because there were a lot of people who had no idea there was some sort of conflict. I do wish that the movie would have given me more about the conflict and less about the characters individual stories. The plot did seem to drag on a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me reconsider my desire for diamonds. I'm glad this movie got the word out and hopefully it made people open their eyes about a war, they had no idea they were supporting... in the wrong way

    ReplyDelete