Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Long Way Gone

So far I really enjoy the book A Long Way Gone, it is a fun read and it flows really well. The story is so graphic and some of the things this boy has experienced so far in life are supper scaring. I could never imagine seeing some of the things he has seen and he is only eight years old. One of the images that stick out in my mind is the mother caring the dead baby on her back while the back of her dress is soaked in blood. The first really intense image in this book is the van of injured people. The father jumps out of the car first and vomits blood, and his arm is cut off bleeding profusely. There are three children in the back of the van that are all dead, a boy and two girls. There is a woman in the car too who is injured as well and is more experienced with war. The entire van was covered with blood on the inside. The outside of the car is full of holes from the rebel's bullets.

5 comments:

  1. I also think the book flows really well and is easy to read. Normally I would not really get into war stories, but this book is easy to follow and understand. And yes it is definitely graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already said this to Megan too, but you're right it was graphic, and those images that you chose definitely represented that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree all the injured and bloodshed parts stick out the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the fact that the graphic images he describes are really what sticks in my head the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh I agree, when he talks about how the mom was saved because the bullet didn't pierce through the baby, that was so depressing and disturbing to envision.

    ReplyDelete