Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Long Way Gone

As I was reading A Long Way Gone, my heart was breaking for all of the innocent children that live this life. I realized how truly fortunate I am to have grown up the way I did. I cannot imagine ever going through an experience like this. What stuck out to me the most was the way he described the deaths he witnessed. Being only 10 years old as he had to see the horrible things he saw had to change everything he had once thought about the world he lived in. It was extremely sad to read everything he went through at that young of an age. Reading this so far, I have felt mixed emotions about the book. While the author's writing is very descriptive and enjoyable to read, it is heartbreaking to realize this is truly what he lived through. It is a hard realization to come to thinking of what life is like in different parts of the world. The only question I keep thinking is how he is going to ever find a way out of the war and move on to a new future.

7 comments:

  1. Reading books like this do really make you stop and look out your life and how easy we have it. Your question is a good one and I asked the same one when we read Left to Tell. It is amazing how people get out of these situations when they put their minds to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post reminded me a lot of the TV show Dexter. Great show btw. Anyways, Dexter in the show witnessed death at the age of three; seeing that build "the dark passenger" inside of him that forces him to kill. In the book he witnesses death at a very young age as well. We will see how that affects his teenage years living in the extremities of Sierra Leone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same question. I want to know how can an innnocent child change into a cold blooded killer. I can image right away that he might have gone through alot of pain in his life to become one like him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We definitely are lucky for not having to wake up to gunshots every morning. I couldn't imagine if a group of people came to our country and started mass murdering people everyday. Makes me sick to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We definitely are lucky for not having to wake up to gunshots every morning. I couldn't imagine if a group of people came to our country and started mass murdering people everyday. Makes me sick to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it hard to believe that he witnessed all these killings at the age of 10

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel Ishmael is very strong for being able to overcome such atrocities. You think about those who live with guilt for their whole life, if they accidentally kill someone in a car wreck. Imagine a little boy being forced to kill thousands and having to live peacefully with it. What a trooper

    ReplyDelete