Friday, February 17, 2012

Communication in Class


In the Tannen article I was surprised what she said about boys and girls being in the same class. In one the the lines in her essay she says "When young young women sit next to young men in classrooms, the males talk more." At Watterson this wasn't true. In group discussions only a few boys talked and almost all of the girls did. The discussion time was taken up by female voices more than males with the exception of a few classes. After this section of the essay goes on to talk about how girls and boys act outside of class.Girls tend to hang out with their best friends and boys hang in larger groups. Women bound through troubles and men bound through good natured teasing and horsing around. Then she applies this to the classroom saying the boys like to talk in class because it is like being in public. Girls do not speak as much because they like smaller groups. I still don't agree with this statement. I liked the essay and the theories she provided. My question to the class is what is your opinion on what happens in a classroom. Keeping in mind that every class is diverse who talks more the boys or the girls?

5 comments:

  1. Good questions Olivia and you guys are getting to the heart of the matter about studies here. They aren't always going to apply to us, but they are helpful to discuss what might be trends in some parts of the society. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about putting girls next to guys in class and only having the guys talk. I don't think that is always the case I think most times it would be the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you discussed diversity in classes between female and male students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I thought the theory was odd because I know a lot of girls who would like to talk out in class. I also know a lot of guys that speak out and say dumb things in class too. I think it is hard to put people into categories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree mostly girls would talk in groups instead of boys.

    ReplyDelete