Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Exploration Six


From The Dalai Lama's Inner Peace and Human Rights speech, my favorite quote was "True peace with oneself and with the world around us can be achieved through the development of mental peace." I find this quote particularly appealing because I totally concur with the idea behind this statement. In order to maintain a peaceful society, each one of us as individuals ought to establish peace within our own minds so we may guide each other in the path of peace.
Siddhartha Gautama, which is Sanskrit means "the awakened one", founded the religion of Buddhism between 6-4 BCE. Buddhism consists of four major concepts, including issues of life and the world, suffering causes and their solutions, nature of existence, and liberation. There are an estimated 350-500 million practicing Buddhists residing in the world currently. Doing yoga and meditation is a key aspect of the religion

5 comments:

  1. What are the 4 pillers though? What is Buddhism about? I love the inner peace thing. It is hard to find inner peace in today's busy society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wikipedia isn't a good source to get information from so I don't believe anything in your blog. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh Yoga and Meditation. I now know why I don't hear much violence surrounding Buddhism. I would like to meditate. Never tried it but sounds like heaven on earth. One day, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried mediation and yoga many times because it is part of my religion. It is very soothing and after you mediate you feel as if your burden is gone. I also want to know more about inner peace. i heard that it is what one feels after meditating but, I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete