Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy? Not For Long

Through this short film, I saw many different aspects of being uprooted. Many of the individuals that were interviewed were uprooted from their families, due to a governmental dispute, or war in their nation. Many of these people had to tragically see their family members be executed in front of their eyes. One particular boy that really appealed to me was a 22-year-old Congolese, named Byrahanga Casambo. He lived a comfortable life, and his father was a doctor. When his house was ambushed, and the soldiers failed to find his father to kill, they killed his mother instead, and he was forced to take his two brothers, and sister to a refugee camp, and be an active father figure in their lives. "I could be a father later, but not now. To life in poverty is difficult," he says. This is an extremely heart-wrenching situation to live in, and no one so young should have to go through it.

To be honest, I've never had a time in my life where I've had to make change in my living situation. My father got his PhD at OSU, and after he married my mother, they moved back here, and I was born in Ohio, and have lived here for my whole entire life. I'm thankful for the life I have. Many of us should feel blessed to live in a war-free, and independent nation, like the United States. We take it for granted from time to time, but we are truly lucky.

One significant adjustment I have had to make in college has been compromising to other peoples' time. I was in a serious car accident in November, and I now don't have my own means of transportation, and depend on my parents for rides. This has been a significant change for me, because I can't just walk to Delaware, like I could my high school, nor is there a public transportation vehicle that would take me there. As far as my learning habits are concerned, I've taken my education far more seriously, as opposed to trudging through my classes, I participate actively in class discussion, and make sure to work my hardest at everything I do. College is a privilege, and we pay our precious dollars for a good education, we ought to make the most of it

No comments:

Post a Comment