Friday, February 17, 2012

What is Beauty?

What is Beauty?
When I began reading The Truth About Beauty I expected it to be something cliche and generic about how women do not see themselves as beautiful, because the media gives them unrealistic standards to live up to. While my guess wasn't completely off the thesis of the essay was more focused on how some people are actually beautiful, and some simply are not. The essay went on to give examples through advertisements that Dove has produced using women of many different skin colors and shapes and sizes. I've actually seen these Dove advertisements before and I think that they are really powerful pieces. I liked how Postrel supported her writing by using Dove examples, but it really struck me when she basically just said in a very blunt manner that, "Everyone falls short of perfection, but some are luckier than others". Postrel said this toward the very ending of her essay, meaning that it was something powerful she wished to close her essay with. While I would like to say that I do not think society sees women as being beautiful or not being beautiful I think Postrel is correct, and that truly is the way we see things. If I was to ask everyone one question it would be what do you define beauty as?

2 comments:

  1. YES Alecia and it seems you are one of the few writers here to actually perceive the thesis, which might be that beauty is NOT all constructed by the media. Our attributes or non attributes have a lot to do with nature and that's been around a lot longer than Dove soap, or TV. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a powerful quote as well. I think everybody has their own insecurities but everybody also has their own things they are confident about.

    ReplyDelete