Friday, March 9, 2012

The Hobart Shakespeareans

What struck me most about the Hobart Shakespeareans was how much Rafe cared for all of his students. He wanted them all to stay in school, away from drugs, learn as much as they could, and go to college. He tells the kids that hard work and character count. As they panned around the room we saw the results of this saying. He had students that went on to go to Yale, Harvard, Tulane, and Wisconsin just to name a few. Another thing that stood out to me was the banner on the wall "There are no shortcuts". This is very true in life. You may think you have found a shortcut but in the long run your shortcut could come back to bite you in the butt. His teaching style is very different from other teachers who teach the same grade. He has the children play music in class, they students read what most consider to be high school and college level novels, they go on class trips, have a money system, and baseball. He blends all of these together to make learning easier and more fun for his students. I kinda wish I would have had him as my teacher. My favorite quote was when Rafe said everyone has problems and we need to solve them. It was a very interesting movie about a very interesting man that more people should try and emulate.

3 comments:

  1. My goal is to stop waiting till the last minute to do things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal as well is to stop waiting to do things last minute. Its a bad habit of mine that I always do and can't seem to quit. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your goal is the same as mine procrastination is always a huge problem for me. Rafe's teaching were truly unique

    ReplyDelete