Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hobart Shakespearians

What stood out the most to me was that none of the kids spoke English as a first language and they were reading books i hadn't read until my freshman year of high school. It makes me wish that I had teachers along the way that encouraged me the way Rafe encourages these kids. Many of them come from broken families or suffer from a family members drug addiction, whatever it may be, so giving these kids something to keep them busy while pushing them in the right direction was the best thing for these kids. I believe that Rafe will have an immense impact on these kids for the rest of their lives. Rafe quoted, "I want these kids to be educated, but I also want to teach them to be nice and show fairness to everyone." which you saw in most of the kids. While watching The Hobart Shakespearians it put a bright out look on how I feel about education. I really enjoyed watching that and seeing that those kids were happy to learn. That’s how I, and every other student in the world should feel about learning. Even if you don’t have a teacher like Rafe, you should embrace the power of learning. My goal is to finish the rest of my college career with all "A's" and "B's". Last year I didn't put much effort into my work, but as of this year I've proved to myself that it is possible to achieve these grades.

7 comments:

  1. Finishing college with "A's" and "B's" sounds like a good goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought it was neat that these kids didn't speak english as a first language. It just shows how hard they have worked to be where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to finish college which with "A's". I agree with you keeping these children busy is the best thing we can do to keep them away from all the issues in their community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also want to finish college with only A's and B's so hopefully we'll both be able to reach that goal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These kids really are a great example of what a good education can do for a person. For English not being their first language they read it aloud very well. I would like to finish college with all A's and B's if I can. I guess the first step is to stop procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rafe made them read books I can barely read right now. They were in 5th grade reading some long freaking books. Not only did they read all the books but they understood them pretty well. Very impressive. Good luck on getting all As and Bs!! That's is a goal of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that being weak in English and reading more books in one year than I've read in my whole life is insane especially at such a young age. I think Rafe should be a role model for all teachers because he works just as hard as the kids to encourage the kids. Rafe is a genius.

    ReplyDelete