Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Hobart Shalespeareans

The thing that stuck with me the most about this film was the books these kids were reading. Most of the books they were reading I did not read until I was in high school. It was inspiring to see how much students are actually capable of. The most effect technique he used I thought was the interaction of learning. He took the kids to Washington D.C to see all the sites and they go on two trips a year. That would have been so much fun to do when we learned about history. It would definitely make the topics much more interesting then just looking at pictures from a text book. I learned that kids at that age level if pushed are really capable of learning so much more then they do. The accomplishments and goals of these students really give hope to learning and made me want to set some goals for myself.
Something that stood out to me was when he was talking and he said he likes to get the kids on the right track early to learning, because if it they go on to middle school and don't learn how they are learning now they will be holding back. It also was interesting how he has class on saturdays for his old students, so that they can come back and learn more.
My goal for next year would be to not procrastinate as much as I currently do with school work. I need to plan out when to do my homework. I also have the goal of deciding a major. For the summer however, in my free time, I would like to read a few books. I was able to do this last summer and really enjoyed it. So I would like to do it again.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you on not procrastinating as much which I tend to do a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that going out and experiencing things in the world is the best way of learning, so taking two trips a year is a good way to get the children to see what it is like outside of the neighborhood that they know. PLus it also gives the children something to work forward to once they get older, such as vacations and high quality services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with about the books these kids read in class.Even I haven't read them until I came to high school.I agree with you as well on procrastination. I have a tendency to procrastinating on my school work sometimes so, i have realized and want to put a stop on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was absolutely mesmerizing that these kids were able to read these book in elementary school, but if you think about it, they read these books because they had the interest to do so, and they had interest because Rafe Esquith enstilled it within them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books the kids were reading shocked me too. I read most of those books in high school. I don't think we would have been allowed to read them in middle school let alone 5th grade at a catholic school. I have a problem with procrastination too, as I do this last minute. I hope to work on that in the coming years. Hopefully you and I both find some good books for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book choice was the most shocking to me as well. What 5th grade teacher makes his kids read high school books? The students didn't even speak English as their first language. Rafe challenged his students and they succeeded. He is one great teacher. Good luck on decided which major to choose. I too have to make that choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think getting to the children at such a young age is developing them for the future. Just like when learning a language, it's much easier to learn as a child. I have the same goal because I really want to get into reading. Rafe is a genius.

    ReplyDelete