Friday, March 9, 2012

The Hobart Shakespeareans

I thought that was a very powerful and inspiring film. Throughout the film I just kept thinking over and over about how impressive it was that these little kids were reading books that I didn't even read until I was in high school. I was in honors and AP English in high school, and I know that the other kids who I went to school with that weren't in these courses didn't even read these books. I really don't think that I would have been able to understand these books at such a young age, so Rafe really must have done an incredible job explaining these books to his students, since they're so complex.
I had never heard of the money system before I watched this film and I found it to be a really smart teaching style. I had to write my first check this year and I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, and I remember in the film it said that the students had to record things, write checks, balance check books, pay rent, and just do a variety of things that I would have loved to learn how to do earlier. These young kids are doing things that may not seem necessary to them now, but knowing how to do them in the future will be so beneficial.
These students are truly inspirational and so much can be learned from them. These kids have such high goals for themselves and I really think we can benefit from them thinking this way and think the same way ourselves. Rafe made a comment at one point in the film when he was discussing his students going on to the higher grade levels after they leave his class that went, "My greatest fear is they become ordinary." I think this is such an incredible quote, because I really do feel like people just try so hard to be live everyone else and don't even know who they truly are. I love Rafe's teaching and I love how he made his students create goals, so I created two myself. The first is to keep a diary, so I can continue to write, even when I don't have to write English papers anymore. The second is to keep a gpa of 3.7 or higher in college.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your diary idea, it is a good way to actully think about life and what is going on. I always start one but after writing in it 3 or 4 times I slack off and stop. I not much of a writer but I hope you do achieve your goal.

    ReplyDelete